S&C Instructor Development Course (IDC) – Internship
Learn and develop career based skills as a professional strength and conditioning coach through a one year Instructor Development Course (IDC) at Sheffield Eagles RLFC.
APPLICATION CLOSE: Monday 12th August
This is a fantastic opportunity for the successful candidates to;
- Shadow and learn from leading UK strength and conditioning professionals and Eagles team coaches
- Enhance your understanding of how maturation affects training developments and long term athletic development of academy players.
- Appreciate the technical/physical cross-over of match based scenarios and skill acquisition in this highly demanding sport to enhance your ability to assess, programme and implement affective long term changes.
- Understand and practice the art of coaching by challenging yourself to implement exercise strategies by working with academy, reserve and senior squad players.
- Learn and become qualified with the highest regarded qualifications in the health and fitness industry and strength and conditioning industry
- Learn skills to develop and deliver strength and conditioning/educational/practical workshops to coaches, athletes and other instructors
- Enhance your CV and improve future employability
Unrivalled education support and mentoring
Each student will have the opportunity to gain a close working relationship with the lead coach as group numbers are kept small. Onsite personalised mentoring will take place on a weekly basis and at the culmination of each term each student will receive a feedback session detailing successes and areas for on-going development as part of the wider development process.
30 Advanced Sport981 Workshops
Beginning where the knowledge and skills of the certifications end, these advanced workshops are firmly established as the ‘core’ component within the overall development of our aspiring coaches. A staggering 30 two hour workshops have been developed specifically to target key attributes and skills which we believe are essential in the pursuit of becoming a well rounded and successful strength and conditioning coach. Each small group workshop has been strategically placed within a syllabus so that they run in line with certification content to complement learning as a progressive way to continue building on your prior acquired knowledge. Topics and skills development in the latest methodologies associated with strength, speed, endurance, and movement are covered in depth in addition to a host of additional specialist subjects such as LTAD, prehab and late stage rehab applications.
National Academy of Sports Medicine certificates;
Certified personal trainer (NASM CPT)
Performance enhancement specialist (NASM PES)
Corrective exercise specialist (NASM CES)
UK Strength and Conditioning Association Accreditation
(Recognised by TASS and English Institute of Sport and many professional teams)
UKSCA Olympic lifting workshop (2 Days)
UKSCA Accredited Strength & Conditioning Coach (ASCC) Assessment
Your applied conditioning will be based at:
Sheffield Eagles RLFC
SIS/EIS Training Facility
A number of workshops and training sessions will be held at:
Centre for Sport and Exercise Science
Sheffield Hallam University
The venue for the UKSCA workshop and accreditation day is yet to be arranged, but will require travel. Your travel cost and accommodation if required is not covered in the course costs and will be self funded.
The programme is split into four phases.
Pre-term development/education days: Saturday 21st September, Sunday 28th September. Additional hands on preseason experience available from Monday 23rd September.
Term One: Monday 7th October – Friday 20th December
Term Two: Monday 6th January – Friday 11th April (Half term 21st – 28th Feb)
Term Three: Monday 28th April – Friday 1st August (Half term 23rd – 3oth May)
Term Four: (distance learning and UKSCA course attendance only). Both UKSCA courses are to be completed by October 2014.
Course content is delivered through 4 to 6 hours of contact time per week, per term. This may be a mixture of early morning and afternoon conditioning sessions and workshops. These may take place from Monday to Saturday.
To enhance learning and maximise the application of course text it is assumed all candidates will allocate additional time to distance learning/self study periods.
Education and Support Fees
Fees can be paid, in full, or in manageable instalments throughout the course duration. Course fees include all workshops, course materials, mentoring, assessments and exams.
- Deposit – Fri 6th Sept – £2000
- Instalment 1 – Thurs 28th Nov – £1100
- Instalment 2 – Thurs 27th Feb – £800
- Instalment 3 – Thurs 30th May- £500
(Terms and conditions apply, please see our website for details)
Total education fees £ 4400
For an informal discussion and further information contact sport981 on 0115 9654841 or email email@example.com
- Successful candidates notified: Friday 30th Aug
- Course enrolment date: Friday 6th Sept
- Introduction evening : Friday 20th September, followed by social evening.
- Term workshops, mentoring and official practical experience starts: Monday 7th October
(Please see ‘hours’ for term dates and pre term education days)
Enrolment onto the instructor development Course would assume all coaching experience related activities are voluntary and non paid. They are provided as an opportunity to apply guided theoretical knowledge to live environments, build coaching skills and gain feedback from your course mentors.
The successful candidates will be expected to complete a Criminal Records Bureau check.